عنوان مقاله [English]
نویسندگان [English]چکیده [English]
This experiment was conducted to evaluate the effect of fruit (seed) maturity on seed germination and seedling growth in mango (Mangifera indica L.) in Minab (Hormozgan province) in 2007. A completely randomized design with 5 treatments consisted of five stage of fruit harvest (85, 95, 105, 115 and 125 days after anthesis, respectively) and 4 replications was used. The results revealed that the maximum seed germination (70.67%) was found in treatment T5 (125 days after anthesis) at a time when the fruit was matured. But, the shoot length, stem diameter, leaf number and leaf area of 6 or 12 months old seedlings were also found better in treatment T1 and T2 (85 and 95 days after anthesis, respectively). Also, shoot dry weight and root index (root dry weight/ root length) of 12 months old seedlings were also found better in treatment T1 (85 days after anthesis). Therefore, the seeds of mango should be collected before fruit ripening, at a time when the fruit is immature for better seedling growth and vigor index.
1. بینام (1385) آمارنامه کشاورزی. سازمان جهاد کشاورزی هرمزگان. بندرعباس، ایران.
2. شیبانی ا (1369) مشخصات پایههای انتخابی پسته. نشریه تحقیقاتی. انتشارات مؤسسه تحقیقات پسته ایران. رفسنجان. جلد ششم. شماره 2 و 1. 73 صفحه.
3. Agbo AU and Inyang UE (1995) Effect of hot ash treatment of mango fruits on the physicochemical changes during ripening. Trop. Sci. 35: 259-262.
4. Alekseev RV, Tolokonnikov VI and Kolesnichenko GN (1986) Chemical composition of tomato seeds from fruits of different maturity. Priemy Povysheniya Urozhainosti Ovoshchnykh Kul'tur v Tsentral'noi Chernozemnoi Zone. Pp. 33-38.
5. Anila P and Girija T (2005) Effect of seed desiccation on the seedling characters of mango (Mangifera indica L.). Madras Agric. J. 92 (4-6): 330-334.
6. Arduini I, Godbold DL and Onnis A (1995) Influence of copper on root growth and morphology of Pinus pinea L. and Pinus pinaster seedlings. Tree Physiol. 15: 411-415.
7. Baruah GKS, Paul SR and Das RK (1996) Effect of fruit maturity stages and drying methods on seed quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.). Ann. Agric. Res. 17: 331-332.
8. Berger CAM, Cordoso AA, Dias DCF and Andsiqueira Dc-de (1998) Effect of seed weight and temperature on seedling germination and growth of mango varieties. Espada and Uba. Revista Brasileira de Fruiticultura. 20: 272-282.
9. Borges CAM, de Siqueira DL, Dias DCFS and Cardoso AA (2003) Effect of seed mass and storage period on germination and seedling growth of the mango. Pesquisa Agropecuária Brasileira. 38: 999-1004.
10. Bradford KJ (1995) Water relations in seed germination. In: Kigel J and Galili G (Eds.), Seed development and germination. Marcel Dekker, New Yor. Pp. 351-395.
11. Coombe BG (1976) The development of fleshy fruits. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 27: 507-528.
12. Corbineau F (1988) Germination des graines et development des plantules de manguier (Mangifera indica L.). Fruits. 42(2): 113-120.
13. Corbineau F, Kanté M and Côme D (1986) Seed germination and seedling development in the mango (Mangifera indica L.). Tree Physiol. 1: 151-160.
14. Demir I and Samıt Y (2001) Seed quality in relation to fruit maturation and seed dry weight during development in tomato. Seed Sci. Technol. 29: 453-462.
15. Doijode SD (1990) Short term conservation of mango seed P1. Genet. Res. News. 104: 24-25.
16. Francois LE and Maas EV (1994) Crop response and management on salt-affected soils. In: Pessaraki M (Eds.), Handbook of Plant and Crop Stress. Marcel Dekker, New York. Pp. 149-181.
17. Girija T and Srinivasan PS (2001) Effect of short term storage techniques for mango seeds. Madras Agri. J. 87: 322-323.
18. Groot SPC and Karssen M (1987) Gibberellins regulate seed germination in tomato by endosperm weakening: a study with gibberellins deficient mutants. Planta. 171: 525-531.
19. Hamid A, Hashem A, Hamid A, Ahad Miah MA and Nag BL (1995) Seed development, quality, maturity, synchrony and yield of selected mung bean genotypes. Seed Sci. Technol. 23: 761-770.
20. Ito PJ and Atubra OK (1973) Mango seed storage and propagation. Ghana Farmer. 17: 34-38.
21. Kondo S, Sungcome K, Sutthiwal S and Hirai N (2004) ABA catabolism during development and storage in mangoes: Influence of Jasmonates. J. Hortic. Sci. Biotech. 79 (6): 891-896.
22. Lounds-Singleton AJ (2003) Influence of thermal postharvest stress on mango (Mangifera indica) polyphenolics during ripening. M.Sc. Thesis. University of Florida. USA.
23. Miles DF, TeKrony DM and Egli DB (1988) Changes in viability, germination, and respiration of freshly harvested soybean seed during development. Crop Sci. 28: 700-704.
24. Moore JP (2003) Carotenoid synthesis and retention in mango (Mangifera indica) fruit and puree as influenced by postharvest and processing treatment. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Florida. USA.
25. Murti GSR and Upreti KK (2003) Changes in the levels of common endogenous polyamines in the pericarp and seeds of mango fruits during development. Indian J. Plant Physiol. 8(2): 111-114.
26. Nerson H (2004) Fruit-set order affects seed yield and germinability in melon (Cucumis melo L.). J. Hortic. Sci. Biotech. 79: 985-990.
27. Parisot E (1988) Study of the growth rhythm in young mango (Mangifera indica L.) plants. Part 1. Description, germination and storage of polyembryonic mango seeds. Fruits. 43: 97-105.
28. Pérez EPMC, Quintero CL, Sandoval S and Viloria Z (1998) Germination and morphological characteristics of mango seedlings (Mangifera indica L.) cv. Pico de Loro, tolerant to salinity. Revista de la Facultad de Agronomía. 15: 526-533.
29. Riley JM (1981) Growing rare fruit from seed. California Rare Fruit Growers Yearbook. 13: 1-47.
30. Singh V, Lavania SK, Sah VK and Kumar S (2005) Studies on the effect of date of fruit collection on seed germination and early seedling growth in Himalayan ash (Fraxinus micrantha Lingelsh). Indian Forest. 131(1): 31-36.
31. Weges R (1987) Physiological analysis of methods to relieve dormancy of lettuce seeds. Wageningen. Ph.D. Thesis. Agricultural University. Netherlands.
32. Welbaum GE, Muthui WJ, Wilson JH, Grayson RL and Fell RD (1995) Weakening of muskmelon perisperm envelope tissue during germination. J. Exp. Bot. 46: 391-400.